I came home from my day job on Friday night to find Mike and Uncle Dave digging up the orchard with a backhoe.
Remember that middle spigot? The one that hasn’t worked in 20+ years and the one we thought was plugged somewhere? To refresh your memory here is the spigot.
You can’t really tell from this picture but the line was really shallow. And of course it wasn’t a straight line back to where the water starts up in the yard. After much digging they finally found the line. There it is!
I didn’t know this but apparently outdoor water lines must be at least 3 feet deep or they will freeze in the winter. This was not three feet deep. And it was broken (probably an accident by the back hoe but still – it would’ve require patching). It was at this point that the group let out a collective “F*$% it!” and we decided to lay new line. (I use the term ‘we’ loosely. It was mostly Mike and Dave).
So, Dave filled in what he’d already dug up and began a new trench starting where Mike patched the hose last week. And Mike unfurled our new pipe/hose starting back where our new spigot will be.
While Dave was digging Mike cut the old line from the new patch and got it ready for the new line.
And when the trench was done we laid the new line and hooked up the new spigot (or hydrant as Mike calls it).
I ran in to the house to turn on the water and yahoo! It works!
By now it was getting to be dusk and we were all tired and hungry so we called it a night. But the back filling began bright and early Saturday morning.
It was a very muddy job.
I am so excited! The new spigot is just a couple of feet from the garden and we’re also going to set up an outdoor sink so I can rinse veggies right where I pick them. Woohoo!
Of course it’s a rainy Sunday so it will be a soupy mess up there for a while but that’s ok. We’ll put down some grass seed and some straw and we’ll be able to water it no problem!